- First of all, start with configuring the system on your computer or Mac. You can find a short tutorial about it on the GitHub website.
- Making a GIT repository is simple: start with the initialising of the Git repository with the following command:
- That’s it, your Git is configured, now you can create and add files in this repository (directory). When that’s done you can add those files to your first commit with this command:
git add .
- The files are now added so it’s time for your first commit:
git commit -m 'My first commit!'
- The final step is to push your commit remotely (can be on GitHub, BitBucket, …):
Other articles about Git
You can find a lot more of interesting articles and how-to’s about it. I suggest a post on StackOverflow that gives some nice links. Git Immersion is a nice tutorial for learning Git (from basic to advanced stuff). You can also find an interesting article on WebdesignersDepot with introduction specifically for web designers.